Tis’ the season to bake and bake some more. I mean what else are you going to do when the weather outside is super nasty and you are stuck in the house all day with nothing but 90s show re-runs on Netflix. NOT saying this has happened to me or anything. Just saying it’s time to bake and what better way to start off the season than some YUMMY cookies — not just any cookie GINGERBREAD. This cookie isn’t for everyone, but it does go hand in hand with all the media hype in December.
Keep reading for my gingerbread cookies recipe!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter (no salt)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In medium mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon until blended. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and egg. Mix in molasses and vanilla, gradually add dry ingredients. Stir (beat) until everything is combined.
- Divide dough and scoop mixture onto plastic wrap (or plastic bag). Let stand for at least two hours before using.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place dough over lightly floured surface. Roll out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies into shapes (I prefer mini cookie shapes.)
- Bake for about 5-7 mins. I bake at a lower time for softer cookies — YUM!
- Decorate with sprinkles and royal icing.